Left wheel pant maintainence

Hobbs: 412.9

Did some maintenance today. Had a sneaking suspicion about the left brake rubbing. Opened left wheel pant since it was just a tiny bit wobbly. Found brake caliper and wheel pant mounting bracket all 3 bolts loose allowing up down motion of whole brake assembly. Removed wheel and tightened bolts. Reinstalled. Noticed this very tiny motion two months ago and we should have checked sooner. Lesson learned: if anything changes even a little bit investigate. Left tire at 22 psi. Right tire at 15 psi!! Filled to 35 each. Since the pressure was low the bulging wheel managed to rub and take another small chunk of the fiberglass wheel pant off on both sides. Trimmed and cleaned a bit more using the sanding wheel in a die grinder on both left and right main wheel pants. Reinstalled both wheel pants. Will test fly it tomorrow AM during instrument lesson. Should probably check nose tire pressure but I didn’t have time before leaving today.

RV7A Maintenance Work – Spark Plugs – 350.5 hours

Good news:
Decided to remove and regap all 8 sparkplugs which made a big difference in ease of starting. Most had gaps bigger than 0.022. Reset to 0.016.
Bad news:
While working around the plane the led work light stand tipped into the wing and put a dent on the top side of the leading edge of the right wing outboard of the fuel tank. It’s smaller than a dime and doesn’t affect airworthiness but I’m feeling pretty bad about it. I plan to research options for removing the dent via auto body service like dent masters or filling the dent with bondo and recovering with a small vinyl patch.

(Sold) Cessna 150 M For Sale @ KHEF

My friend Harry sold his beautiful Cessna 150. Here are the details:

1976 Cessna 150 MIMG_0583

  • N714BC
  • 3993 TTAF
  • Continental 0-200 487 TSMOH
  • Factory installed original extended range tanks (38 gallons, up from 24)
  • All original logbooks with excellent maintenance record
  • Upgraded McFarland fuel filler overflow system installed for clean fueling
  • Mechanical condition airframe & engine: 10/10
  • Exterior paint / cosmetics: 7/10
  • Interior cosmetics 5/10
  • 1999: Newly painted exterior
  • 2004: Top overhauled #1, #3 cylinders
  • 2011: Top overhauled #2, #4 cylinders
  • 2013: Both mags overhauled, overhauled carb, overhauled alternator
  • 2014: New magneto harness installed; new ELT installed
  • 2016: New starter&battery contactors installed, new voltage regulator, new battery
  • 2017: Compressions: 73/80, 72/80, 78/80, 74/80
  • Next annual due: Jan 2018
  • Regularly flown and professionally maintained 150M; based at KHEF
  • Here’s your chance for a great airplane in top notch mechanical condition














RV7A Maintenance Work

3/3/17 Tach 162.6, Total Time 182.5

  • Fixed screen over fuel vents
  • Checked engine timing, good
  • Oil weep @ oil cooler hose fittings, upper & lower – tightened
  • Fixed air filter pop out from starting backfire
  • Fixed alternator wire chafing

3/26/17 Tach 170.3, Total Time 191.1

  • Changed oil; took oil sample; changed oil filter. Did not inspect oil suction screen.

4/12/17 Tach 172.5, Total Time 193.8

  • Changed 4 bottom spark plugs for new
  • Gapped 4 upper spark plugs
  • Installed lower cowl heat shield material

6/27/17 Tach 202.3, Total Time 227.9

  • Removed wheel pants
  • Removed wheels
  • Changed tires to new Dresser retreads, Goodyear Flight Custom III, & new tubes
  • Replaced both brake pads L & R
  • Repacked main wheel bearings L & R
  • Re-installed new tires & wheels
  • Re-installed wheel pants
  • Flew test flight to Winchester & back with John A.

7/1/17 Tach 203.9, Total Time 229.7

  • Larger retreads cracked wheel pants again on landing, so wheel pants were cutout more, and re-fiberglassed
  • Added white vinyl to nose gear leg fairing
  • Changed oil, filter, and checked oil suction screen

7/8/17 – 7/9/17 Tach 203.9, Total Time 229.7

  • Removed empennage fairing, painted with gloss white spray paint
  • Re-installed wheel pants
  • Oiled the exhaust stacks with mouse milk
  • Re-glued screen over L & R fuel vents

Miscellaneous ongoing maintenance


Replaced and re-glued the screens over both left and right fuel vent intakes.

There was a small weep of oil at the oil cooler / oil hose connections. I used steel fitting in the oil cooler (instead of aluminum) and did not get the oil lines tightened enough. I tried tightening them just a bit more while holding the steel fittings with another wrench. This seems to have stopped the slow weep.

I re-installed the engine air filter which had popped up from a small engine backfire during a previous start.

The alternator wire was chafing a bit. Fixed.


Changed oil. Took oil sample (was from end instead of middle of draining by accident). Changed oil filter. Did not change or check suction screen during this oil change.


Removed all 8 spark plugs. Determined 3 of 4 bottom spark plugs had lead build ups and decided to replace them (200 hours). Gapped the 4 upper plugs to < 0.020 and > 0.015 quickly but not very precisely.

Installed lower cowl heat shield material from Vans on the inside of the lower cowl to protect the fiberglass from the exhaust areas where it was starting to discolor.